Poker is a game in which cheaters have always found a loophole so that they can benefit. The best way to protect yourself from such cheaters is to figure out firsthand what strategy of cheating they employ so that you can counter it as best as you can. Here are some quick tips on what sort of cheating usually goes on in a poker game:
Cheating in physical poker
- When it comes to playing poker with real cards as opposed to online, there are several established ways to cheat. If you notice any of these being used, you can request for the game to be closed immediately, so that you do not have to go through any more of it.
- Card marking: Something that underhanded casinos have done in the past is to mark a card so that the dealer can easily reference it during the game. It has also been done by players who want to get one over on other players so that they can hold on to a good card. Always ask for a fresh deck of cards.
- Deck manipulation: Sometimes, players may just get away with cutting the deck in the place where they know there are cards they are looking for. You can prevent this sort of cheating from happening by asking for a neutral dealer who can cut the deck afresh for you before the start of a game.
Cheating in online poker
Cheating online can also take place quite successfully if you don’t know what to look out for. Here are some quick tips on how people tend to cheat in the online version of the game and how you can nip it in the bud:
- Groupism: Certain poker players have found that the best way to ensure a win for all of them is to go ahead and form a group that plays against another player. These players will then communicate with each other about what cards they are holding so that they can pass on hot tips and trap the other player. You can figure this out if you constantly see the same players together at an online poker table, so that you can have them removed by the customer service team, or simply choose to play at a different table.
- Programs that cheat: There are poker bots that you may find at some sites where a program continues to play the game acting as though they are a real person. It is easy to identify a bot, mainly because it seems as though the person is never offline. You may also find that a bot hardly interacts or maybe passes on suspiciously neutral information. You can report any suspicions you may have to the casino’s customer service team and they will be able to take action on this if it happens.
Always have fun when you are playing poker and avoid cheating, while preventing other players from cheating, too!